Shipping and Arrival
- Any damage which occurs during shipping between our studio and the original destination is covered under warranty; however, damage MUST be reported within 48 hours. Frame damage not reported within 48 hours of arrival at original destination voids the warranty. Damage report must be accompanied by images of the exterior of the box and specific piece damage. These can be emailed to [email protected]
- If your piece is under warranty and in need of replacement or repair, call or email our studio for pre-approval and packaging instructions. 503-990-8132 | [email protected]
- Damage that occurs when a piece is re-shipped after arriving at its original destination is NOT covered under warranty.
- In cases where there is no box damage (indicating abuse by the shipping company) or frame damage (indicating damage to the piece occurred after it was unpackaged), a call tag will be sent for the return of the merchandise at no cost. Dimensions of the return shipping box will be required for a call tag to be issued. The return shipping box must be appropriate for the piece.
- In cases where there is substantial box damage (appropriately documented) accompanying damage to the artwork, a call tag will be sent for the return of the merchandise at no cost. Dimensions of the return shipping box will be required for a call tag to be issued. The return shipping box must be appropriate for the piece.
- In all other cases, return shipping is the responsibility of the customer, as well as any associated out-of-warranty repairs or replacement costs (see below for conditions which void the warranty).
*Standard production pieces in original, re-sellable condition may be returned to Christopher Marley Studio address at the customer’s expense for credit/exchange (NO refunds) within 90 days of receipt. Custom pieces are not eligible for return or exchange. For additional exceptions, please contact our office.
Christopher Marley artwork is guaranteed against disintegration, infestation (see below for details**) and manufacturer’s defects with the following exceptions*:
- Physical damage to the piece, including the frame or specimens (other than mold, infestation, or other damage not caused by mishandling) which is not reported within 48 hours of arrival at original destination (as specified on the customer’s PO or as determined by the shipping company’s records) voids the warranty.
- Damage that occurs when a piece is re-shipped after arriving at its original destination is not covered under warranty.
- Any alterations made to the piece outside of our studio void the warranty. This includes but is not limited to: opening a sealed piece, reframing, changing hangers or orientation of the piece.
- Like all fine artwork, Christopher Marley pieces should be stored or displayed in a climate controlled environment, away from exposure to direct sunlight.
Fading or morphing of color is not covered under this warranty.
- Water damage or moisture exposure (as indicated by wrinkled backing paper or other signs of moisture) will void the warranty.
The environment in most homes in the Western world is entirely adequate. Humidity levels should be kept under 60%. The back of each piece is finished with paper that will wrinkle if humidity levels rise to unsafe levels. This wrinkling indicates either unreasonable or unsafe humidity levels or that the piece has otherwise come into contact with moisture. Though the frame is sealed to protect against insect infestations, a piece that has come into contact with water can transfer moisture to the inside of the piece and create optimal conditions for mold to appear. Fluctuations in humidity levels can also cause movement of wing placement in winged specimens. Movement of wing placement is also not covered under this warranty.
- Pheromone will repair any of its art pieces that may show signs of infestation at no charge as long as the infestation is reported and the piece returned to Pheromone in a reasonably timely manner. Pieces that become infested but are not returned to Pheromone until the damage to the piece is extensive and irreparable may not be covered
- Any additional, unreported damage to the piece discovered upon return to Pheromone will be assumed to be the result of improper packaging unless there is visible damage to packaging which appears to be otherwise adequate to protect the piece(s). In such cases, it is the customer’s responsibility to file a claim with the shipping carrier they utilized to return the piece.
*Warranty does not apply outside the continental United States. Please contact our office for more details. These terms do not apply to the Christopher Marley Museum Collection.
Instructions for returning piece(s) for repair or replacement All pieces must be returned at the customer’s expense as outlined above.
NOTE: Failure to properly follow instructions may result in denial of warranty claim and repair charges being assessed to the customer.
All pieces must be returned in adequate packaging, including:
- Interior boxes are not to be used alone to re-ship pieces.
- The exterior box must be appropriate for the piece(s) being returned. Overly large boxes or boxes with insufficient interior space may contribute to further piece damage, which will incur repair charges that will be the responsibility of the customer.
- There must be a minimum of 2” of packing material between the piece(s) and the box on all sides
- Packing material must be used to fill in all open space between piece(s) and exterior box (interior boxes must be held firm by foam or other packing material but it is not necessary to fill all voids between boxes)
- Multiple pieces must be separated from each other with a minimum of 1” of foam, bubble wrap, or other appropriate packing material
- The exterior box must be clearly marked “Fragile” on at least three sides
Ship return packages to:
Pheromone | Christopher Marley
3655 Kashmir Way SE
Salem, OR 97317
Tiny insect pests (typically small beetles of the family Dermestidae or bugs of the order Psocoptera) are ubiquitous on our planet and have the very important role of helping to break down deceased organisms. While this role is ecologically critical, it is obviously antithetical to Pheromone art pieces, so extensive precautions are taken to protect each piece of art before it leaves the studio.
All insect specimens used in Pheromone artwork are dispatched, dried and kept in airtight containers where they await export for months or years in our Malaysia warehouse. Before export from Malaysia to the US, all insect specimens are frozen and fumigated with Insecticide (2,2-Dichlorovinyl 18.6%, dimethyl phosphate).
Upon arrival to the USA, all specimens are inspected by US Fish and Wildlife officers. Insect specimens are hermetically sealed in shadow-box frames and put through a freezing cycle to ensure that any pests or eggs that may be present are eliminated. Pieces are then typically stored for a period of weeks or months prior to sale, at which time they are all re-inspected by Pheromone staff.
Occasionally, even after all of the above-mentioned precautions are taken, a small number of nearly invisible insect pest eggs may survive the fumigation and freezing processes and can emerge months or years later when conditions are prime. This is a rare occurrence, but as no further measures are available to guarantee against insect pest infestations, Pheromone warrants to repair any of its art pieces that may show signs of infestation at no charge as long as the infestation is reported and the piece returned to Pheromone, at customer expense, in a reasonably timely manner. Pieces that become infested but are not returned to Pheromone until the damage to the piece is extensive and irreparable may not be covered. Similarly, pieces that are returned with substantial frame damage or indication of abuse that could compromise the seal of the piece are not covered under warranty, but may often be repaired at the customer’s expense.
Infested pieces that are returned to Pheromone may be repaired or replaced at Pheromone’s sole discretion. Pieces that are returned to Pheromone and are assessed a repair under warranty will be shipped back to the customer free of charge.
Mineral Selection & Exchange Policy
Updated and Effective as of April 2017